Monday, October 03, 2005

a lesson lost

This evening Savanna threw a fit for the ages when we attempted to leave the neighbor's yard. SCREAMING... HOLLERING.... ARMS FLAILING... and LEGS KICKING, I struggled to carry her the 300 yards home. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade making test runs down our block couldn't have drawn the crowds that we did. I just kept smiling and nodding. "Yes, this is my kid." "No, there is not a thing I can do to quite her down."

What could cause such an award winning display of frustration you ask? Rocks. (ridiculous rocks)

Savanna had gathered up about a bucket full of landscaping rocks in her shirt, short pockets and hands. She insisted on taking them home. The minute I told her no, that the rocks were not hers she lost it. Once home, she settled down and now an hour later I tried to have a conversation with her about it. I told her she couldn't take things that weren't hers. She wasn't buying it. "But, Dad I wanted the Rocks." So, I picked up one of her "Dollies." "Savanna, what if I want this." Savanna started to look a little concerned. As I began to walk off with the dolly, "I want this so I'm going to take it." Panic sets in "Dad, NO!" "Why not?" I ask. "Dad, it's mine" she says defiantly.

I'm beginning to think I've got her. "So who owns the rocks?" "Mrs. Potter" she answers.
I'm almost home. "why can't we take the rocks?" "Because they aren't ours."
She's learned a lesson. I'm one proud Dad. I hand her back the Dolly and she places it on the top shelf of her bookcase. "Dad, I'm putting it up here so you can't take it."

As the air goes out of me, "Savanna, I think you missed the point." She replies (over and over) "DAD! that's my POINT.".... "DAD! that's my POINT!"

0 comments: