Monday, October 17, 2005

Start the slow clap...

This month's issue of GQ features a great article titled, In Praise of the Male Chick Flick. It's based on that certain kind of movie that sets out to push men's emotional buttons. Here's there top 5.

5. Brian's Song, 1971
I haven't seen this one, but from what I hear there is no reason it shouldn't be in the top 5.

4. Good Will Hunting, 1997
Great flick that took Affleck and Damon from nobodies to somebodies. Best Quote: "You know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, from when I pull up to the curb to when I get to your door - cause I think maybe... I'll knock on the door and you won't be there."

3. Hoosiers, 1986
This would make #1 on my list. I remember our team watching the movie at Pat Martin's, my senior year, before a big game. We were so inspired, the Indians avenged a early season loss and knocked off the top conference team. Best Quote: "You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." or "Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important than the other."

2. The Shawshank Redemption, 1994
This one never gets old. I must have watched it 10 times and each time it feels like I don't know he is going to break out. Best Quote: "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

1. Field of Dreams, 1989
Come on. This is #1? I never connected with the movie. I might put it in the top 20 but certainly not #1. Here's what should have replaced it in the top 5:

Rudy, 1993
I can't ever hold back the tears when watching it. The soundtrack is also spectacular. I even heard a distant relative of Vince Lombardi uses the soundtrack to pump up audiences during pep talks. Best Quote: "No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around."

0 comments: