Thursday, April 17, 2008

Simply Lucky

Yesterday a milestone was achieved. After 6 long years and 10 attempts at managing a fantasy team, I FINALLY finished with a 1st place victory. Yes, I won my Fantasy NBA "Ohs" League.


As much as I would like to say I had the best team, it was lots of luck that left me at the top this season. It seems to me luck plays as much of a factor as any when lacing up the fantasy shoes. Granted good managers get their teams in position to win year after year, but most times it is luck that determines the winner. A few examples from this season.

My 3 Keepers (best players) Amare Stoudemire, Baron Davis and Rashard Lewis spent very little time injured. A few of my toughest competitors limped into the playoffs with their best men on the IL.

John Salmons. Never heard of him? It's no surprise, John was my last pick in the draft at #146. Then Ron Artest and other Kings went down to injury leaving my man John with loads of playing time. What Luck! He finished the 86th best player.

The last example happened to our league's best player, the atm machines. He's so money. On the last day of his semi-final game Mo Williams, averaging 6.4 assists, sat out with stomach pains. ATM finished the game in an "assists" dead tie 162 - 162. Then lost on the tie breaker, "most points". Ouch!

Without ATM's misfortunes I surely would have been left chasing my first title again next year.

I'll end with an old telecom saying.... "I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week."

0 comments: