Friday, May 16, 2008

My Very Best Willis Reed

I can see it now... fast forward 15 years. The Greatest Moments in Grapevine Softball history.

OK, it's a stretch. Let's do a quick comparison.

Willis: Game 7 NBA Finals
Smith: Game 1 Regular Season C League

Advantage - Willis

Willis: League MVP, World Wide of Sports Athlete of the Year
Smith: First Start as team Pitcher, Lead off batter with no power

Advantage - Willis

Willis: started game in front of thrilled audience - voted greatest moment in Madison Square Garden History
Smith: fewer than 15 spectators - overheard "what happened to him?" from spectator

Advantage - Willis

Willis: Champagne Shower celebrating Knicks 1st NBA title
Smith: Beer in parking lot celebrating 5th inning run rule and 1-0 start to season

Advantage - Tie

I think a tie might be the best I do. Last night, after giving up 2 runs in the top of the first, I "turned" my ankle in an attempt to leg out an infield single. I, rather awkwardly, fell into the dirt just past first but was called safe.


While it hurt really bad, I just couldn't take myself out of the game. I just kept moving around and made it through the end of the game... Going 4 for 4 while holding the opponents scoreless for the last 5 innings. Today, I am paying for it. I called "Dr." Levings and was told to rub some dirt on it, keep it elevated and ice often. Wish me luck.

0 comments: