Friday, December 30, 2005

The Reverse New Year's Resolution.

About this time last year, I read a great article by my favorite motivational speaker, Marshall Goldsmith. I hung on to the article planning to share it with my sales team just before everyone left for the year. I hope it also makes a decent year end blog post.

Making a Resolution that Matters. Below are a my crib notes.

I want you to imagine that you're 95 years old. The 95-year-old you understands what was really important and what wasn't, what mattered and what didn't, what counted and what didn't really count. What advice would this wise "old you" have for the "you" who is reading this page?

Take a few seconds and answer this question on two levels: personal and professional. Jot down a few words that capture what the old you would be saying to the younger you that is here today.

My suggestion is simple. Just do whatever you wrote down. Make that your resolution for this year and next.

The wise old you has finally realized that the next promotion, the next achievement, or the corner office really won't change your world that much. Many older people say they were so wrapped up in looking for what they didn't have that they seldom appreciated what they did have.

So (this year) do the reverse New Year's resolution. Don't look ahead. Look behind. Know that you need to be happy now, to enjoy your friends and family, to follow your dreams. This is good advice for everyone who wants a fulfilling career. It's also great advice for everyone who wants to live a meaningful life.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: