Friday, November 11, 2005

A bunch of Bull

Yesterday, with the NBA season now in full swing, I found myself in yet another heated debate about the greatest NBA teams of all time.

What is it about about Michael Jordan fans that makes them so unreasonable?

Let's keep in mind that all of this is debatable. There are no absolutes in this conversation. My co-worker seemed to think otherwise.

I'll give you (and the vast majority of fans would agree) that Michael Jordan is the greatest individual basketball player of all time. BUT, that doesn't mean he the best team player of all time. If I could have any player, from any time to start a team, Jordan would not be my first choice. I'd take him third.

Bull's Fans, Yes, I can hear you screaming.

Listen, it took Jordan 6 years before he could get the Bulls to the finals. Magic and Bird both got there in the first two years. Sure the Bulls won 6 titles with Jordan, but look at who they played. The team's of the 90's couldn't hold a candle to those in the 80's. Can you honestly compare (90's) Blazers, Suns, Supersonics and Jazz to (80's) Celtics, Lakers, Pistons and 76ers? It's not even close. Jordan had to wait for the great players to retire before he could win the big one.

Yes, I still hear you screaming.

So I posed the question. How many titles would the 90's Bulls won had they played in the 80's? Do you know what he said? "7" Are you crazy? Can you hear me screaming now? I know it's debatable, but honestly how can a reasonable person think that to be true.

I don't even want to get into Phil Jackson. Who couldn't have coached that team to win at that time?

Anyway, while we are on the subject of basketball. A few days ago, I stumbled across this great article by Paul Shirley. It's a pretty interesting take on how we view our favorite celebrities before meeting them. It's long but well worth the read. If you have time click here.

0 comments: