Sunday, November 13, 2005

These are the rules.

Last night, Vanita and I went to eat at one of Dallas' new hot spots to celebrate her 32nd birthday. Nobu had a great atmosphere and wonderful food which I guess justified the service. It wasn't bad service they just required each guest to follow a unique set of rules.

It started when I went to make reservations. Vanita had mentioned that reservations needed to be made several months in advance. I made my first call in mid September. Nobu informed me reservations couldn't be made more than 30 days prior to the requested date. So when October 12th arrived a made my second call. A message informed me that reservations were only taken between the hours of 10 and 5. On the 13th I tried again. This time someone answered.

"I would like to make a reservation on the 12th of November." I requested.

"Sir, we only take reservation between 10 and 5."

"I know, but it's only 5:10. Are you really too busy to take my reservation." I pleaded

"Sir, rules are rules. You'll have to try again between 10 and 5."

Finally on my 4th attempt I successfully made my reservation.

At the start of our meal we learned another interesting rule. We had just been served our first of several Sushi Rolls and Vanita was struggling with her chopsticks. I stopped our waiter and asked if we could have a fork. He leaned down real close to our table...

"Sir, I'm sorry but we can't provide you with a fork."

"Do you have forks?" I asked.

"Yes, but we don't let you use them."

"Then why do you have them?" Which seemed to be the next logical question.

"They are just for dessert."

In the end it actually added to the enjoyment of our meal. Watching Vanita attempt to poke, stab, squeeze and balance her food with chopsticks was more than worth the cost of the meal.

0 comments: