Monday, November 07, 2005

Elevator Speech: "Life Lesson"

Returning from an appointment today, I met an interesting fellow in the elevator. Let me set the stage a bit.

We have two separate elevator systems in our building. Two elevators are used only for the parking garage while another six are used for the twelve floors of office space. Occasionally, newcomers to the building get them confused.

So I'm on "P2" waiting for the elevator. The door opens and only 1 of the 2 people exit. I'm feeling a little "chatty" as I enter the elevator, so I ask "What's going on?" This guy was great! He was in his mid 40's, graying ponytail, with the odd combination of a delivery boy ball cap and a fully stocked tool belt, which was partially hidden by his "fuel tank". He answered with a "Not much." I fired right back at him "Well, why not?"

Now I had his attention. He struggled for an answer, "I guess I don't know." It's time to shoot him straight, "You got on the wrong elevator, didn't you?" He was a bit embarrassed but fessed up, "Yep." Just before the doors open to the lobby I tell him "Now you know."

From the lobby to his stop on 7, the "floor" was his. "You know what G.I. JOE says?" Uuhhh, No? "Knowing is half the battle." He is all smiles at this point "A buddy of mine says there is more than just Knowing and Doing there's a 3rd thing..." I was hanging on his every word. "You got to want to!" "All three things, Know it, Want it, Do it." That was it, the doors opened and he was gone.

I didn't have a chance to get a name or a number, but if your looking to book him as you next motivational speaker, just call directory assistance for the only sandwich delivering tool man in Irving, Texas.

0 comments: