Monday, July 18, 2005

Knocking on golf's door....is anybody home?

Was there really any doubt at the end of Saturday's British Open who would be Champion? I found little 5 year old Tiger in the Nike Commercial more entertaining than Big Tiger going into his 10th final round of a major with all or a share of the lead. He had 38 putts on Saturday and still shot 1 under. He had 5 eagle putts and St. Andrews only has 2 par 5s. That is just ridiculous, he is too good.

I on the other hand need help. "The game leaves me depressed and delusional, obsessed and self-centered, miserable and consumed with doubt. Yet it also so enthralls and elates me that I can't wait to play again."

A group of my golfing friends had me sign up for My Scorecard, an online handicap system. It is reasonable priced ($9.99/year) and new features can tell you helpful tips about your game. Here's what it has to say about mine:

If you could just get rid of the double(s) you'd be right on down there... Blow-ups are all mental - you already know that you can hit the ball well in most cases. Developing a sound pre-shot routine, avoiding common mental mistakes, and increasing your confidence should help reduce the likelihood of things going awry. And, if you do happen to have that 'blow-up?' Take a minute to regain your mental faculties, and avoid the super-high risk gamble.

it goes on to say....

an alternative to hitting buckets and buckets on the range is do two things: 1) Get a driving lesson, and 2) Focus on the mental aspect of the drive....

What the??? Get a driving lesson? It's like this thing has been riding in the passenger seat of my car since I turned 16.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I was reading thru your post I was thinking exactly the same thing as you posted at the end of your blog. Mental concentration without a doubt would and could improving your vehicular driving. Proficiency in life skills requires fixing our mind on a goal and persistency in striving to achieve it.