Thursday, July 14, 2005

A trip to The Modern

A few weeks ago Savanna and I spent a great Sunday together....

Vanita had several friends in town on this weekend they took the day to go shopping. This left the entire day for Savanna and I to go play.

Following church I allowed for Savanna to pick her favorite restaurant for lunch. Her first choice, Chick-fil-a is closed on Sunday so we opted for one of my favs, Chili's. I had my regular chicken sandwich and Savanna ordered chips with ranch, Mac-n-cheese and when given the choice of fries, corn, or mashed potatoes she choose the taters then restated that she wanted ranch. Even with two bathroom breaks and time to dance next to the table she ate really well. While I paid, Savanna told our waitress she had a nice pink belt. By her reaction, I bet it was the biggest tip the waitress got all day.

Now it was on to The Modern. This was a wonderful recommendation by non other than, my sister, Melanie Freeland. This place is much more impressive than The Kimball Art museum. If you have time, check out the photos of the building provided on the website. Before going inside I told Savanna to go stand under the big "M". She said I'll stand under the first big "M" daddy. Having researched the website I was prepared to pay the $12 cost of admission. However, we were fortunate to learn the first Sunday of the month is always free. We ventured upstairs to visit the Dan Flavin: A Retrospective exhibit. I wasn't sure what to expect from my visit. I kind of had this idea of a bunch of fancy neon lights set up as pictures. Let me tell you, my thoughts were not even close to what was displayed on the entire second floor of the museum. They had room after room, these are big rooms too, with crazy light exhibits. I just started taking pictures. I had both cameras working, the digital and our old cannon rebel. The pictures didn't last long. I was instructed that no pictures were allowed on the second floor. Anyway here is the best of what I was able to take.

Finally we headed home for a community pool party. We had a great time I talked with lots of neighbors and Savanna made several friends in the pool.

0 comments: