Monday, July 25, 2005

Sun bathing on the course

Finally back, rested and caught up on emails. As expected the trip to the great mid-west was a pleasant break from my regular routine.

Flew into Kansas City on Thursday night. My mother, Teresa (not "the"), and "Granny" Mary Lou met Savanna and I at the airport where they happily took over baby sitting duties for the weekend. My cousin, Travis, had left a car for me as he and his wife, Erica, were catching, for some unknown reason, a Rascal Flatts concert. Erica and I must share the same opinion of the group, she got the weekend started early and paid the price for it well before the concert was over. Travis was a little upset with the situation so I felt obligated to improve his spirits. We tucked (the way two trainers help an injured athlete off the field) Erica into bed and jumped in the car for a 12 to 4 blackjack session at "the boats". We were happier than a lady gillette in a room full of Rockettes. The night was fairly uneventful with the exception of one amusing conversation. I was sitting at the anchor position of $5 table with three other players. When playing "21," I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm just a feel player. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't. Well, this was upsetting one of the players. After losing about $60 in chips (everything he had at the time) he announces to the table (looking at me) "I'm going somewhere they know how to play." Uhhh mmmm.... best try Vegas and sit at a table with a minimum larger than $5. I sure was disappointed to let him down.

Our after hours trip to the boats turned out to be not the best idea. Travis, Tyler (Travis' younger brother and my golf partner), and I were not well rested for our 10:30 am tee time at Staley Farms . In addition to the lack of sleep, temperatures reached 100 degrees with a heat index over 110. I honestly didn't know if I was going to make it. The good part was that the course was spectacular. It was in great shape and challenged most parts of my golf game without being unfair.

By Saturday morning we were well rested for our first round of tournament golf. Tyler and I played well, shooting 64, but were a stroke out of first behind 3 teams. That night each team was auctioned off as a side bet for Sunday's round of golf. We were able to purchase our team relatively cheap at $220. Last year a team sold at just over $400. I also bought two other teams, one of which I had no intention to buy, but got stuck with them trying to raise their price. This was foolish.

Sunday didn't start so well. One of the team's I purchased some how got confused, had the time wrong, and missed Sunday's round. So I had my team, a team I didn't want and a team that didn't show up. Lucky Tyler and I made up for it with the way we played. We birdied the first 4 holes, then cooled off a bit with 4 pars. It was time to rally. "Skin it" I called out. You must wear a shirt in the club house but can work on your tan while playing. The ralley call worked, we birdied 9 of the last 10 holes for a 59. It was fun to have a feel for what it is like to be Tiger (aside from playing shirtless). Tyler hits the ball further than nearly.... everyone. He steps up and without much effort hits it 300 to 330, usually down the middle.

If you play golf and haven't visited Tarkio for one of it's two annual golf tournaments, add it to your list of things to do.

0 comments: