Tuesday, August 02, 2005

GGGOOOOOAAAL!!!

I'm in Atlanta for the next few days which should give me ample time to catch up on the blog.

The plane ride here and the subsequent 40 minute delay on the runway (is there a worse wait?) gave me time to get through the August issue of Fast Company. The magazine contained yet another wonderfully applicable article from Marshall Goldsmith. Being the beginning of my 3rd month with Covad, I felt it was time to assist the team in setting and working towards some goals for the next 18 months. After all nothing changes, except by chance, unless we do.

Marshall's article read:

We all set goals to get some aspect of our lives in shape. All too often, we fail to meet them. Why? There are four major challenges that we mistakenly assess:
1) Time: "This is taking a lot longer than I thought it would," or "I don't have time for this."
2) Effort: "This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, " or "I'm tired. It's just not worth it."
3) Competing goals: "I had no idea I would be so busy this year. I'll just have to worry about this later."
4) Maintenance: "After I got in shape, I celebrated by indulging in some of the actions that forced me to set my goals in the first place. Now, for some unexplained reason, I'm back where I started. What am I supposed to do?"

We often confuse the words "simple" and "easy." The changes I help people make are generally very simple. However, they are never easy.

He goes on....

To achieve meaningful goals, you'll have to pay the price. There' no product, no diet, no exercise program, and (I hate to admit it) no executive coach who can make you better. Only you can do it. If your source of motivation doesn't come from inside, you won't stick with it.

A great basketball team from William Jewell once adopted the slogan, "Give Me Something Hard." I hope our Covad team feels the same way.

0 comments: