Tuesday, August 30, 2005

It's not tailgating.... I'm drafting

I had a jam packed 24 hours in America's Heartland beginning Sunday at 3pm. I started it off in fine fashion, enjoying a DQ Blizzard with my parents in Platte City, MO. Next it was on to Liberty MO. There I enjoyed a nice mix of Pac-Man, Ping Pong, Frogger, Texas Hold'em, Galaga and finally a fantasy Football draft. Got some rest. Up early, interview with a new potential sales rep at Starbucks in Overland Park, KS. Driving too fast, customer appointment and lunch in Lee Summit, MO. On the way to the airport, I did a quick stop by William Jewell College, Liberty, MO, to experience the 1st day of school all over again.

I should spend more time up north, I can't recall in any recent history such a pleasant mix of activities. (Right now, my wife is thinking "you make enough trips up there as it is)

Now the draft. Last year I finished a strong 5th (10 team league) after making the terrible mistake of drafting Jon Kitna in the 4th round. I've still yet to live that one down. Looking to avoid the same mistake, I did much more pre-draft preparation. Here is a recap of my picks and a quick evaluation of each. I had the 6th pick.

1) Duce McAllister, RB, NO - I expect this to be a good pick. NO beefed up it offensive line and has made a commitment to the running game.
2) Kevin Jones, RB DET - I bit of a risk here, but was the NFL's leading rusher the second half of last year.
3)Reggie Wayne, WR, IND - #2 receiver for IND but I'm hoping he takes over the #1 spot this year.
4)Antonio Gates, TE, SD - Best TE in the game, even sitting out the 1st game of the year.
5)Deion Branch, WR, NE - Tom Brady's favorite target. Let's hope he stays healthy.
6)Jimmy Smith, WR, JAC - Still has a few good years left, Jacksonville likes to throw.
7)Santana Moss, WR, WAS - This was a terrible pick. Washington doesn't have a QB.
8)Brett Farve, QB, GB - He says he's in great shape and has a good receiving core.
9)Michael Bennett, RB, MN - I'm hoping he takes ownership of the starting role.
10)Charlie Rogers, WR, DET - Tons of talent, needs to stay healthy.
11)Carolina, D -
12)Jason Elam, K, DEN - Thin air at Mile High.
13)Jake Plummer, QB, DEN - Farve is old needed a good back up.
14)Bobby Engram, WR, SEA - Good for a few catches a game.
15)David Carr, QB, HOU - Plummer throws lots of INTs, but should have picked a TE.

There it is. I think I have a well balanced team.

Here's a few quick hits from the trip.

At lunch on Monday our (female) Bartender says, "It smells like hotdogs, do you smell that?" Jake Davis, "Nope, but you've always had a nose for weiners."

From a Sports Illustrated article I read on the plane, My Football Failure.

NFL Terminology:

Hash Marks: what you might find on Ricky Williams's couch.

Dime Package: what you might find under Ricky William's couch.

Quarterback: what you get after forking over $7 for a beer at Giants Stadium.

Throwback jersey: What a fisherman does after catching the Garden State.

0 comments: