Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Public Transportation and Great Steak

Happier than Rafael Palmeiro at Balco Labs, I just returned to my hotel room in Midtown. Tonight's events were a bit of an adventure. For this weeks visit to Atlanta, I passed on a rental car and decided to use the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (Marta). I had high hopes and thus far it hasn't let me down, too much.

My destination McKendrick's Steak House. The restaurant was named America's Finest Steak House by Prime Steak Houses and I just had to see if it could live up to this reputation. Now I'm no steak expert but it is one of my favorite entrees.

So off to the Marta station I went. Purchased my $1.75 one way token and waited a short 28 minutes for my train to arrive. Keep in mind this was mere nanoseconds in comparison to the time spent on the tarmac earlier in the day. The Marta kicked me out where I needed to be, but I had lost all sense of direction during the trip. So I called McKendrick's with two questions: Do you have a dress code (I'm in a t-shirt, jeans and flipflops) and how do I get there? The conversation:

Kat: McKendrick's this is Kat.
Me: Hi! I was hoping to try one of your steak's but wondered if you have a dress code?
Kat: Ooohh, yes we do, it's business casual.

Ut Oooh. I best go with question two.

Me: Where are you located? By the mall?
Kat: Yes. Where are you?
Me: Just got off the Marta....
Kat: long pause... Uhhh what do you have on?
Me: T shirt
Kat: It can't have any writing on it.... like..... Metallica.
Me: laughing.... What if I just ironed it?

A few minutes later I made it to McKendrick's where Kat greeted me with a smile. I had a great NY Strip with garlic taters and even tried some mushrooms free of charge. I would recommend the experience to everyone but if you want my favorite steak house you'll still have to visit Bob's Steak and Chop House off Lemon in Dallas.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

a t-shirt with metalica is outlawed but the flipflops are ok?? i guess they haven't ever gotten a glimpse of the talons.